I. Getting to Know Literacy Learners, P–3


“One of the best predictors of whether a child will function competently in school and go on to contribute actively in our increasingly literate society is the level to which the child progresses in reading and writing” (NAEYC, 1998, p. 1).

 

          In order to gain an understanding of my students’ reading abilities, I utilized a variety of assessments and screeners.  I chose to use two different screeners to determine student needs.  First, I chose to use the Elementary Reading Attitude Survey (ERAS).  The ERAS “provides quantitative estimates of two aspects of children’s attitudes towards reading” (McKenna & Kear, 1990, p. 628).  This is a great assessment tool because it measures a student’s attitude towards reading.  I particularly liked using this screener because it provided visual images that my first graders were able to access.  The data from this screener helped me find the students’ attitude for reading.  For example, I was able to determine if they enjoyed reading for pleasure, for academic knowledge, or for both.  The second screener I used was the Words Their Way Primary Spelling Inventory (PSI).  The PSI is a spelling inventory that is used in grades kindergarten through third grade (Pearson Education, 2008).  The data from this assessment helped me establish three different reading groups in my classroom.  The Words Their Way program also has resources to help implement and support literacy lessons/activities for the differentiated groups. 

 

          After implementing these screeners, I was able to identify the needs in my classroom.  “Screening provides educators a quick look at children’s skills and development in specific areas prior to beginning reading instruction, while assessment provides ongoing feedback about children’s literacy progress and growth” (NCREL, 2013, p. 6).  After I had the information needed to establish reading groups, it is important to be flexible as the students progress throughout the year.  I plan on using these assessment tools periodically throughout the year to change groups, find additional resources, or to restructure grouping/lesson direction.  Providing students with purposeful instruction that is tailored to fit their literacy needs will help them become confident readers and writers.

 

References
McKenna, M. C., & Kear, D. J. (1990). Measuring attitude toward reading: A new tool for teachers.
         The Reading Teacher, 43(9), 626--639.
NCREL. (2013). Critical issue: Addressing the literacy needs of emergent and early readers. 
         Received from http://www.ncrel.org/sdrs/areas/issues/content/cntareas/reading/li100.htm
National Association for the Education of Young Children. (1998). Learning to read and write:
        Developmentally appropriate practices for young children. Washington, DC: Author.
Pearson Education. (2008).  Primary spelling inventory.  Words Their Way:Word Study for Phonics,
       Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction.  Received from
    http://readingandwritingproject.com/public/themes/rwproject/resources/assessments/spelling/spelling_primary.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment